Helping you and your family navigate the adoption process in Texas.
Assisting clients through the adoption process is one of the most rewarding parts of being a family lawyer. The joy of bringing a loving family and child together through adoption is unparalleled, for both the clients and the attorney alike. Although the journey is an exciting one, the legal procedures can often be difficult, confusing, and emotionally draining. I am committed to ensuring the adoption process is as seamless as possible for you and your family.
Adoption Procedures in Texas
In Texas, the law requires families to undergo significant processes prior to any adoption being finalized. This includes termination of parental rights, petitions, and final approvals related to a child’s name change. Families interested in adopting a child must provide information about their background and lifestyle. Some of the procedures include:
- Criminal background checks.
- Abuse and/or neglect background checks.
- Home visits (with all members of the family present).
- Collection of references from relatives and non-relatives.
- Collection of documentation proving the family is financially stable.